Monday, August 30, 2010

LONGEST PINEWOOD DERBY TRACK




Tom (Dickson, of "Will it Blend" fame) came running up to me telling me I HAVE to spend my Saturday on August 28th with him at the Pinewood Derby Track. I was not excited to spend my Saturday at "work", but realized since we are currently without some key marketing employees, including a marketing director, I better fill in.

What I witnessed was at Rio Tinto stadium in Sandy, Utah, the longest Pinewood Derby track in the world. An average Pinewood Derby track is about 40 feet. The previous recored was about 268 feet. Tom's track was measured at 336 feet. The local BSA Chapter, Utah National Parks Council, did the work to get Guinness Book of World Records to record this event.

My objective was to set up artwork signage that represented Blendtec and videotape the event. Scouts were invited from all over Utah to try out their car on the track. I noticed for most of the cars, the real competition was can it even make it through the whole race.

Some "kids" (I use that term loosely, since many of the fathers probably pitched in and helped) came with the official weight and design that make it legal to participate (5 ounces). Many came with altered cars (motors, etc) and obviously would not count, but were allowed to test the track anyway.

The only drawback was the wind was terrible. My hat kept falling off. Speakers that were hanging on stands were falling. The tents were toppling over. It was also a cool image next to the conssession stand when the napkin box fell over and there was a whirl wind of napkins in the air. I think next year Blendtec is thinking of using Energy Solutions Arena (formerly the Delta Center) along with a longer track to help with not interrupting the air flow of the cars.

Here are a few links. We made it on KSL, Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune and other publications.

No comments: