Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Apology Campaign




No, I'm not talking about the apology tour President Obama gave when he was first in office. I'm talking about the commercials I hear every day on the radio here in Utah.

Let me back up. I know a little something about advertising. Usually you buy airtime on radio, TV or the internet to get people to buy something. You might use airtime to get people to vote for someone or even say thank you for a special event or an award.

In the case of Energy Solutions, I don't really understand what they are advertising to us for. Is there anyone in the listening audience with some left-over nuclear waste that needs to hire Energy Solutions to take it away? Is there a need to tell us that Energy Solutions is the best at taking away nuclear waste just in case sometime down the road someone might have some in their back yard?

Or are they helping ensure the public that the many tons of nuclear waste brought here from Italy is safe? OR, are they making radio spots to get environmentalists off their backs? To show the world that they are "sooo green" that they are the best at taking away the waste.

I'm sorry, but I have to shake my head at the advertisements that talk about how green they are, how their product helps lower carbon emissions or less destruction of the planet. Terms like "smarter planet" and "better for the environment" coming from companies that in my opinion could care less about their carbon emissions, and probably are big wasters of mountains of paper, water, electricity and fuel in traveling around the world.

Truth really is, when a company is promoting how "green" or "friendly" they are, it's really a form of HUSH MONEY. That's right. Companies are just operating in CYA mode when they do that. They are worried some environmental group is going to start camping outside the front door with picket signs that will evolve the discussion from "this company is deadly to the environment" to "this company kills the elderly" to "this company needs to share the wealth". Then "this company" will get a visit from the EPA. Then "this company" will cave and make themselves "green", and more then likely, pay money to some cause in the case of not being sued or look bad in public.

That is why I cringe when I hear the Energy Solutions commercials on the radio, spending thousands of useless dollars to tell the world that the canisters they use are safe.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: