Sunday, December 23, 2012

Shirley Goodman 1935-2012




As my sister tells me, "I am not very sensitive to other's feelings". My mother was comatose for a good few days, so even though I was scheduled to come to see my parents for Christmas not till Friday, I came a day earlier. I got things squared away at work (even though we had a new WILL IT BLEND episode being released on the "end of the world").

I got to the house and went to see this frail, week yet sweet woman who gave me all I have... my life, now ready to leave hers. I barely got a nod and a grunt when I told her that I was here. Stephanie received the same.

Later that night, we met as a family, all who was there and took turns telling her good night. The next day she was still breathing, but not even moving. My sisters Connie and Pam continued to move her around to try to make her comfortable, but we didn't even know what she was feeling.

Finally, a blessing was given by Connie's father-in-law, who was also a patriarch, and asked The Lord to relieve her of her pain. And not more then 3 hours later, she passed. After about 30 minutes, with family gathering, calling hospice and giving the official report, I let my other family members know, then put a posting on Facebook.

My sister, Pam became upset with me the next morning because her kids found out about it on Facebook before she could call them herself. It was 2 in the morning, so I didn't figure many people would have read the post till later, but I was wrong. I assume I will always do something wrong in the sight of my sister Pam, not sure how to handle it.

All I can think of is Mom is now in a better place and no longer having to deal with this evil and mixed-up world. Love you, mom.



- POSTED BY KELS GOODMAN

2 comments:

Rob Z. said...

Your mom was a sweet, wonderful lady who always treated me very kindly. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Pam is wrong for giving you grief over the Facebook post. If these are Pam's kids from Harlingen, they must be what, almost 30 by now? She could have called/texted them earlier herself.

Anonymous said...

Kels,

Sorry to hear your Mom go and to hear that you Dad has leukemia. She is indeed in a better place. I wish you the best during this time. Nothing, absolutely nothing prepares you for the death of a parent, no matter how sick they have been. I hope that all goes well with the funeral. May you have some measure of peace during this time in your life.

Tom