Tuesday, July 29, 2008

AUDREY SMILLEY HAS RETURNED!


We'll I don't know if they actually returned.  It would probably be proper to tell what Audrey Smilley is.  Or who they are.  Audrey Smilley is a band I knew in college back in 1988 (back when my wife was 13).  I met them through my friend from college, Tahlee Booher.  George, Dale and Craig has a vision.  I don't think it was to take over the world, but close.  Long before computers made it easy to make CD's and copy them, create an artsy logo on Photoshop to pass out to your email community on the internet advertising your latest event, Audrey Smilley seemed to have a following that impressed me.  They were able to produce albums, get their music heard, pass out creative hand-made fliers and pack in houses full of kids (mostly college students hungry for something different) to join in their revolution.  I participated in their first music video "Fence Away" which was produced by Tahlee.  I then decided to make a film about their struggle to the top (which never happened, but should have).  I feel this band was ahead of their time.  They are obviously no longer together, but I understand they remain friends and have some kind of communication.  The film I made was called "Life of a Struggling Band".  I never really finished the film.  Thought about it.  Still think about it once in a while.  I finally realized that someone (it might have been Craig Moore or George Carlston) put the video on YouTube (my favorite place).  Just type in Audrey Smilley and you will see an unfinished, uncolored and unmixed work print, shot on 16mm, of the film.  For those of you that don't understand that lingo, it's a grainy-resolution copy of the original.  It was actually one of my student films.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Old Man C said...

Part One:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtuOzhMJyAo

Part two:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ab0M4NX9gc

Thanks Kels! As an aside, this is a slightly different cut than the original but it retains, I hope, a flavor of the irreverent director's cut.

Craig said...

I just saw this today and as you no doubt know by now, George was the one who put the movie on YouTube. I think we should finish it. It's nearly 20 years later. My idea is to spend a week in Utah getting ready for a reunion show. Then we play the show. It could be fun ...

nijimasu said...

Alright boys and girls- I just heard from Brent. Tentatively, we have Audrey, headshake, and Theatre of Ice slated for a reunion show in July of 2013. Keep you fingers crossed.