Wednesday, July 23, 2008

MEETING GLENN BECK


I saw that Glenn Beck was coming to Utah.  I respect him for his ideals and his faith.  Plus I get his sense of humor.  I met him once in Virginia before he was on CNN and in as many markets as he is in now.  It was a little easier to go up to him and talk.  

He came to the Deseret Book right by my house.  Because I had seen him before, I figured I didn't need to stand in that long line, I was busy that day.  But KNRS had a contest that you could sign up for to be first in that long line.  I figured that if I signed up and won, then I would go.  But knowing my extensive list of winnings, I figured I would just forget about it.

I signed up and actually won!  I win nothing.  It must have been some sort of sign.  I took Stephanie and we got to the front of the line, but then then when Glenn and his entourage showed up, Glenn explained that he was not able to actually meet with everyone in a casual manor.  

Before I even knew it was time to go up to the podium, the book I bought was taken from my hands and I felt pushed up to him.  Then I wanted to tell him about my success with Will It Blend.  I did mention that I met him 5 years ago at a Christmas program he did and before I could even finish, I was pushed again to the side.  

Needless to say, I felt disappointed.  I felt like Ralphy in Christmas Story when he met Santa at the mall.  Before, when I met Glenn, there was time.  This time around, there wasn't.  I didn't want to play "stardom" with him.  I don't do good with meeting celebrities.  I don't like most of them and don't even care.  

I don't blame Glenn on the issue.  In fact, I find it rather refreshing that I wasn't the only one.  Making up for it was seeing Glenn's Patriotic Speech he made at the Marriot Center on June 29th.  He was awesome and I gained a new perspective on my role as a member of my faith and a member of this country.

No comments: