Friday, April 17, 2009

"ARE YOU SURE YOU PRODUCE WILL IT BLEND?"


When the new BYU Magazine, the magazine for alumni, came out with an article about "Will it Blend", there were numerous people who emailed, called or text me asking if I even had anything to do with "Will it Blend" (because even though I am an alumni, I am never mentioned).

So I figured I'd set the record straight...

I was hired around the same time as the marketing manager, George Wright, was hired, to produce training and promotional video material for the company.  About a year into our employment, George saw Tom blending a 2x4 as part of the strength and endurance test of the blenders.  George obviously saw this as an opportunity to show the power of the blender.

He came to me and asked me to videotape the blending of several crazy things.  From there, I jazzed up the proceedings by making it into a "game show" feel, with the campy music, the funny titles, etc.  Together, we would come up with funny lines, find new funny things to blend and bring the show to it's highest level.  But you have to admit, half of what makes the show popular are the things I do to it.

The toughest part for me is the credit that is being spread (or lack thereof).  George is the nicest guy in the world and a great boss to work for.  He is always upbeat and positive, a trait that I have always worked to gain, falling short sometimes.  But I also know he has an agenda to push himself in the light. 

I don't blame him at all.  I would probably do the same thing.  And I feel that has been a great step for Blendtec.  Anything to make Will it Blend popular, is only good for Blendtec and us keeping our jobs.

Why am I commenting on the BYU Magazine article?  George has done countless interviews, speeches and podcasts, mostly focusing on marketing and the like.  Because I am too busy trying to keep the videos coming, I don't have time to keep track of all the articles, but I will say from all I've seen, I am almost never present.

The articles will always go like this: "All it took for George Wright, marketing manager, was $50, a great product, a video camera and a great idea... that is what started Will it Blend".  (Oh, by the way, I'm the video camera.)  Honestly, I shoot, direct, edit and in most cases write the material for every Will it Blend (now at 100 episodes).  

And let's not forget Ray Hansen, our original web "master".  He came up with a lot of the jokes and was there for most of the filming for these great "masterpieces" of transmogrified art.

Yet, I have been left out of any trips to national television shows (Jay Leno, Today Show, QVC Etc), I have been excluded from any interviews (Wall Street Journal), I am hardly ever mentioned for the pieces I created that have become the most successful ad campaign in the history of the internet, earning a 700 percent increase in blender sales.

Don't get me wrong, I love George, I love Tom, always will.  Love my job.  I am trying to be humble about this, but it has become difficult.  For the 3 or 4 people who actually read this blog, thanks for letting me vent.  I will go back to work now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I thought about you as I read the article. Actually I just skimmed it looking for your name and quickly put together what was going down. Just know that WE know who the creative genius behind this whole thing is. Yeah, it's the man from Texas.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Anonymous is me, Matt Whitaker.

Kels Goodman said...

Thanks Matt. Good to hear from you. I know, I'm a whiner.

Unknown said...

My name is Danny Allen...I would sleep even less than I do if I did not make a comment about Will it Blend and my pal Kels Goodman. Kels it is Ok to stand up and be recognized. It does not mean you are arrogant or a showboater...you are a very talented guy and you do need to get credit when it is due...I am bothered by people who know they are a part of a team yet fail to mention it. You are a huge part of your companies success and for that you should be proud as well as recognized. I am happy to be your friend and look forward to working with and learning from you.
Danny Canada Allen.

Kels Goodman said...

Danny is the MAN!

Tom said...

Kels,

I know how you feel. Sometimes it is hard to stand by while the "bosses" take credit for your creative genius. But in the end, its all about a pay check. I'd rather have a job and an income than worry about being recognized. The fame is cool, but I just want to do my job and enjoy being myself.

Tom