Thursday, April 30, 2009

OLD NEWS - NEW THOUGHTS

I was thinking back about the events that have transpired since the Miss USA runner-up gave her honest answer to Perez Hilton about her opinion on gay marriage.  I have a personal issue with this, so I figured I would weigh in.

First mistake was Perez Hilton asking the question.  I always thought that these pageants are supposed to be political-free and bring people together for a common cause, "world peace" we can all agree on.  Evidently, Perez felt that talking about gay marriage was going to "bring people together".  He should have known better. 

Second, why use Perez Hilton as a judge? Who is Perez Hilton anyway?  Is he related to Paris Hilton?  Is he an actor? Has he been in any films?  Has he written some thought-provoking book?   Some people these days, I wonder just how they get famous.

Thirdly, there are many in the gay community that feel that his "rant" afterwards was out of line and was even a set back in their mission.  I can understand that and let me explain.

Personally, I feel that there is no problem giving gays the same marriage opportunities as any heterosexual human being.  They are God's children too and I am sure he loves them just the same.  The problem with changing the idea of marriage and granting the same rights to gays is what you just saw in Perez Hilton (as well as many of the people protesting outside the church temples).   Look at how mad gays can get sometimes.  Look at the hatred and "take-overness" that can seem to come across when trying to make things "equal".  

I personally have a hard time "loving" someone that is forcing me to love them.  I know that's a stretch, but you know know what I mean.  Long term changes in society take time and need to be understood by all.  

I can see more now what the church was doing by giving their two cents in the matter in November.  There were church members that were concerned that giving gays the right to marriage would then force the church to marry gays in the temple, thus closing temples.  Then there were those on the other side of the issue that would say "that would never happen".

Now look at the protests afterwards.  Are you telling me that with as angry as the gay community gets they won't try to force the church to perform marriages?  Look at how they reacted.  You give them an inch, they will take a mile.  THAT is what I am afraid of.  

You work so hard to be tolerant that you get in trouble in the process.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  


No comments: