Monday, March 25, 2013

The Strangest Secret in the World





For years my father would hand me this photo copy of a photo copy of a short story titled "The Strangest Secret in the World", by Earl Nightingale. As a kid, I never read it. I mostly brushed it off. When ever new events would come up in my life, I guess he would feel I was finally open to the Strangest Secret in the World, but most of the time it sat in my archives of the "illgettoit" files.

Finally, a few years back, Stephanie and I started watching "The Secret" the movie. (It was easier to watch a film then read a book, after all.) I took the advice from a guy who I met who became well off from a company he purchased, built up, and sold. I asked him about his success and he admonished me to watch "The Secret". We practically memorized the film.

This led to other ideas of who we could listen to when it came to self help. I liked what The Secret had to offer, but because I hold Gospel principles above anything else, I couldn't agree with everything it said. It talked about "the Universe" all the time, just giving you what you want, but I don't totally feel that is true.

I also went to watch one guy who teaches body language, and he was alright, but the problem was I was starting to feel a slight worship or "buy my stuff or it won't work" Kind of feeling. When you start putting numbers to it, it almost feels like I'm selling Amway.

Steph finally found Earl Nightingale. For some reason, I could click with him. He had an old radio show for years that taught self-help principles and I guess either I love his voice, or maybe he reminds me of my father. I remember seeing tapes on my dads desk that were self-help principles with Earl's name on it. There was a calm, cool tone to his voice that, even though it's older recordings that Steph found on iTunes, I feel the principles are still the same.

In fact, I would venture to say, it's these types of principles that we are very well missing in our world. I even think some of the self-help speakers of today, to a degree, even feed the fire of a "something-for-nothing" kind of attitude. Earl teaches anyone can have anything, but they have to work for it, along with the belief of making it real. We downloaded about 12 hours worth of audio of Earls radio show, listening on our many drives to Vegas. What I also love is that I never hear Earl trying to sell one of his products, that I won't succeed unless I buy one of his books. He puts the principles in very humanistic terms. We certainly could use them in our day...

That's why I am starting a weekly report on the principles he gives. But for starters, I'm going to give a report on a recording he gave about his review of another man's book, "Think and Grow Rich", by Napoleon Hill. Earl gives his points of view, but draws them from the 13 points given in the book, Think and Grow Rich. These principles have totally worked for me, as now I consider myself living my dream job. I feel I would not be doing the service I need if I do not share this knowledge with others.


- POSTED BY KELS GOODMAN

No comments: