Monday, October 3, 2011

Ahhh, Fall.

I Love it when Fall comes. Parke and I were looking at our iPhone temperatures over the next few days (we have a camp out on Friday). Either we have been spoiled with the 80 degree weather we have been having or something is wrong because we are about to get a major change in the weather (possible snow as low as 6000 feet by Wednesday). Ick!

Over the weekend we had no younger kids to attend to, so Stephanie and I decided to play. Play!? Yes, something I haven't done in a while. I figured before it gets cold and depressing, we should take advantage of the warm weather.

Friday night, Steph and I decided to try out Parke's scooter I got him and rode to the movies. First we went to the cupcake store (my new guilty pleasure, gotta love the red velvet cake) and bought a few treats to sneak into the movie theater. I accidentally left the key on the scooter (battery died), so we ended up rolling the scooter to the theater (good thing it was across the street).

We went to see COURAGEOUS. I have been very impressed with Alex Kendrick films (Fireproof, Facing the Giants, Flywheel). Especially with his focus on the message. You notice that his films have not always been the best technically, but his message rings true (and each film has profited financially). I actually was able to contact Alex and tried to get him to play a small roll in THE LAST EAGLE SCOUT. He respectably declined, saying he was too busy doing Courageous, which I totally understand.

So the question is, in comparison to LDS Cinema, why is it that his films, which are half good, really preachy and sometimes bad acting, can do well. Where as most LDS films, which are always worried about being "too preachy" and looking good technically, can't do well financially? I still remember film after film, people from LDS Film would always blame LDS Cinema's failures on being "too preachy" or "not good enough technically", "not enough money" or "bad acting". Alex Kendrick has suffered all of these, and yet the Lord continues to bless him with the finances to keep making movies.

My number one answer (besides audience reach, etc) is one word... spirit. When I watch the behind the scenes of all his movies, you hear the discussion go with the way of God. "This is God's movie" or "The Lord helped us" or you see them praying between takes.

In LDS Cinema, I am afraid the focus has always been on "me". My performance, my movie, my vision, and very little "God" involved in the making of LDS Films. That is just my opinion. I am just as guilty of this. As I have made THE LAST EAGLE SCOUT, I have tried to focus on message and the Lord helping me (even though this film is not LDS Cinema stuff). I am still dealing with The Constitution and freedom, both gifts from God, and I have had to be on my knees alot, repeating in my mind that that the Lord is in charge.

The next morning, my assistant at Blendtec, Kyle Jacobson, just finished his first short film he produced. It was a sweet film about a boy who falls in love with a woman who writes on a white board. The film starts out with him just goofingly writing "Hi" on the board. Then, the board writes back "hello". After a while, he keeps writing messages to someone that isn't there and builds a romantic relationship with the person writing. It is a cute concept and I personally think he can make it into a feature film, but we shall see.

Back to the weekend, Steph and I rode trax to downtown Salt Lake City. It was Conference weekend, but we didn't have tickets. We just wanted to see the camaraderie that usually comes with downtown SLC. We went to Deseret Book and saw TC and the cast of 17 MIRACLES signing autographs of the film on DVD. It was good to see him again, it has been years. He is one of the best guys to work with/for in film and he deserves all the success he has gotten on 17 MIRACLES.

So now, I look at the weather and realize that our camp out this weekend might end up being an early Klondike. I just realized that I am going into the hospital on Wednesday for a hernia operation. No worries. Just a day in the life.

No comments: