Monday, October 31, 2011

FALL AGAIN...


This time of year always brings a number of anniversaries. And this year new ones will be created.  It was Halloween of 2005 that I came rolling into Utah after living in Virginia for two year with a series of emotional challenges.

Divorce comes to mind, but also comes a renewal of life.  I came to Utah in my car with only the things I could carry (namely, my computer, my clothes, etc).  The following day, I had a meeting with a blender company to see if we were a "fit" for me to work for them as the video producer.  I had a great meeting and was hired 10 minutes later.  Then, I left to find a place to live, right across the freeway, and just like that... life started over for me.

Knowing that I had much to explain to the hundreds of friends I had left two years earlier, I didn't run to any of them for quite a while.  In fact, when I first came back the night before my interview, I got a hotel instead of the many options I could have taken.

But after a little pain, things got better and I moved on. A year later, brave enough to meet with women again, I met the love of my life, probably the sweetest woman I have ever known (even after now being married to her for 5 years).  We work hard to still be "boy friend, girl friend".

Another landmark for this time of year.  It was 5 years ago November 2 that I posted the first WILL IT BLEND episode. What started as a joke and a "let's see what happens" to the new venue called Youtube, had turned into a phenomenon that we have had to work hard to control.  After 130 episodes, 300 million views on youtube and the website, many awards and being used as a prime example in college text books, not to mention the growth the company has seen from the success of this web series, we were just recently named by Ad Age magazine as the most successful campaign in the history of Viral Marketing.  It has definitely raised my level of confidence and ability to execute other things in my life. In my opinion, it is time to move on.  In Tom Dickson's eyes, it has only begun.  Huh...

The Last Eagle Scout is now scheduled to have a premiere at the LDS Film Festival, but I have had to hold back that news because things keep interrupting the final parts of post-production.  I am told we are well on our way, so when I feel it to be right, I will announce it.  My dream is to premiere it at the LDS Film Festival, which is the last week in January, then release in three markets the week or two after, Salt Lake City, L.A. and Dallas (the home of the Boy Scouts). We are now also looking at Washington DC and others.

While I was healing from the hernia operation, I took advantage of the percocet-induced time I had and quickly wrote the sequel to The Last Eagle Scout.  Amazingly enough, I wrote the whole story late one night.  There is so much happening in this country that concerns me that I just took the next chapter to the next level.  More controversial, more action and faster paced.

We shall see what happens.  But for now, the photo below speaks the truth.


No comments: