Monday, January 2, 2012

Healthy Junk

That is what I used to call it. Since those bike rides to the local Maverick Market on the hot summer days of South Texas in the late 70's and the early 80's do I remember buying a huuuge 32 ounce Pepsi and a 3 Musketeer's bar that would become an addiction I still hold to this day.

I remember going to the local Rialto Theater in Downtown Harlingen, Texas to see the double feature of Superman the Movie and Love At First Bite, I was introduced to the extra large 32 ounce soda, and the 7-11 later dubbed it "The Big Gulp". Eating junk is what made me happy.

Today, I start a 7 day smoothie fast, something I am solely testing for myself. Parke, my son, has offered to go along with it, but my motivation is really watching my mother improve from her cancer fighting diet.

As you might recall, I helped her around the first week in November, along with Robyn, the Green Smoothie Girl, to check in and adapt to the new lifestyle at the Oasis of Healing in Mesa. I watched what they were doing and tried to soak in what my ADD would allow me to.

What my mother has been part of is a juice fast, even though it's not totally a "fast" per se. She still does eat some things. But some people will fast with juice only to cleanse out the toxins in their body. The juice usually consists of lots of greens, apples, etc. My fast will be a little bit different as it will be more fruit based. For a while, I made smoothies every day as part of my breakfast, loaded with grapes, pineapple, oranges, cantaloupe, and lots of spinach. But I quit for a while, mostly because of time to buy the stuff and make it. That is going to have to change.

Why am I doing this? I don't have a diagnosis of cancer, but I would like to not have the diagnosis in the first place. I saw my mother for Christmas and she looked incredible. She has lost 35 pounds, she no longer has to take Prilosec, (which I have to take as well), she no longer takes her blood pressure medicine and she just plain feels good. I personally need that.

So as for myself, I just want to test this out. I could lose a few extra pounds, I could use some energy... well Ok, I could use a LOT of energy right now. Too much going on.

The other "health" thing I just did was get bifocals. If you see the picture in the previous day's entry, you will see that I now have a new black rim and thicker glass. Bifocals take a little getting used to. I guess my age is showing.

I'll give you a hint... I was born the same year one of the James Bond movies came out. (I know, that really narrows it down.)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: