Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Trip To The Big Apple




Still haven't figured out why it's called the big apple. I don't think they even grow apples in New York City, but hey I'll go along with it.

All joking aside, Blendtec sent me and my assistant Kyle and commercial marketing director, Russ to New York for two reasons: to attend a housewares awards show, and to film an interview with the busiest Smoothie shop in the world, Planet Smoothie in Penn Station. Supposedly, they make 3000 smoothies a day on our equipment and we are here to record it.

I haven't always been a big fan of New York City. I just feel it's too busy, and always wonder why half the people in this city can't just thin out over middle America and solve the busyness of the many problems it faces. It could be that that statement I just made would have been offensive those living in New York City who are here to get away from middle America. They like the busyness, they love being around so many people, they love living in a box and calling it "living quarters". I'm selfish, I love my space.

While my traveling companions and I were filming at the local Godiva outlet using our equipment to make their elixir, we decided we needed to find a way to go see the David Letterman show. I haven't watched David Letterman for a long time (we have pretty much cut the cable in our house, we never watch TV anymore), but it was fun to see.

While looking at my phone for where to get tickets, a guy came up to me and said they were looking for audience members for The Late Show. We had to take a quick quiz to see if we "pass" for an audience member. I didn't know the first question, which was "what is the name of the one female member of the late show band". I didn't know, so they asked another question "what does Dave often throw at the camera". I knew it was his pencil and "won" the tickets.

Standing in line for the tickets, I witnessed Bill Murray making his way into the theater, since he was the guest for the night. We were given all these rules of how to be an audience member, showing that these orchestrated late night TV shows are just that... Orchestrated. People laughing on cue, even if it is not funny. You can tell how well Hollywood can force their jokes, and even their opinions, by thinking everyone else agrees with them, and laughing with them. We even watched a video before the show started on how we need to make Dave look good by laughing along and clapping on cue...even if the joke is not funny.

It was a well run machine, the Late Night show. They hit 30 years tomorrow night, which is a great accomplishment. But it shows you how you can form opinions through comedy. It has been a fun trip overall.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:New York

No comments: